Orange County Wrongful Death Lawyer
Looking for an Attorney for a Wrongful Death Case in Orange County?
We understand that losing a loved one for any reason is a very difficult time in your life. In California, accidents are one of the leading causes of death. If you or someone you love has been touched by accidental death, an Orange County wrongful death attorney may be able to help you recover some of the damages you are owed. Wrongful death suits can be brought after incidents where a person's negligence, carelessness, or recklessness caused the death of another.
Common causes of wrongful deaths include:
- Car accidents
- Industrial accidents
- Product failures
- Dangerous Drugs
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit in California?
A wrongful death suit can only be brought by certain people. Any surviving spouse may bring a wrongful death suit but after that, it becomes more complicated. If no surviving spouse exists, then the next people able to bring suit in order of priority are:
- Surviving children of the decedent
- Dependent stepchildren of the decedent
- Any dependent minor living with the decedent for more than six months
- Dependent parents of the decedent
The list continues from here and extends to non-dependent parents, siblings, and other heirs of the decedent's estate. Your personal injury attorney can advise you on whether you have a legal right to bring a wrongful death suit after the loss of a loved one. There are some special exceptions, such as when a person believes that he or she was married to the decedent but the marriage was not legal.
Compensation in Wrongful Death cases
There are two major types of damages that can be recovered by a skilled wrongful death attorney. The first is financial damages and the second is non-economic damages. Financial damages that may be awarded include:
- Cover the cost of the funeral
- Compensate the plaintiff for the decedent's expected future financial support
- Compensate the plaintiff for the reasonable value of the decedent's future household services
- Compensate the plaintiff for the loss of expected gifts from the decedent
Non-economic damages can compensate the plaintiff for:
- The loss of the decedent's companionship, love, affection, support, and compassion
- The loss of the decedent's sexual relations (for a spouse)
- The loss of the decedent's training, mentorship, and guidance (if applicable)
Contact a Wrongful Death Attorney in Orange County
Searching for a lawyer for a wrongful death case in Orange County? Here at Gill Law Group, PC, we among the best at what we do. As wrongful death attorneys, we believe in fighting hard for those who are left behind after a tragedy. We will work with you to build a solid case and help you get the compensation that you need and deserve. Our firm has been proudly serving families in a wide variety of injury cases for a number of years and we know what it takes to achieve the best possible outcome.
We understand that nothing can bring back your loved one or underdo what has already been done. However, we can be here for support and we will relentlessly pursue justice on your family's behalf. Let us worry about the insurance companies while you take this time to grieve and be with your family.
Our firm offers a free initial case evaluation for injury clients, so please do not hesitate to contact us today!